Açaí Bowl- blend açaí berry puree, frozen banana, frozen mixed berries and milk until thick and creamy and top with fresh fruit, granola, coconut, chia seeds or your favorite toppings. Açaí Bowls are easy to make at home and make a delicious and nutritious breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Açaí Bowls (pronounced ah-sigh-ee) are popular smoothie bowls that are served at restaurants, cafés, and smoothie shops. But did you know they are easy to make at home? You only need a few ingredients and a good blender!
Açaí berries are one of the only fruits with healthy omega fats, antioxidants, and fiber. The berries are also low in sugar. The flavor is a little tart with a hint of unsweetened chocolate, the lack of sweetness makes açaí very versatile and perfect for making bowls because you can blend with other fruits and add fun toppings!
To make açaí bowls, we use frozen açaí packets that you can buy at almost any grocery store. Just blend the açaí packets with a little milk, frozen banana, and berries.
And now for the FUN part, customize your bowl with ALL of the toppings. Go crazy or just add a few, it's up to you! That is the beauty of an açaí bowl, you can build your own!
The next time you are craving an açaí bowl, make your own! They are easy to make, nutritious, and delicious!
Table of Contents
- Milk– you can use dairy, almond, coconut, cashew, or soy milk. Coconut water will even work!
- Frozen banana– make sure you use a frozen banana so the acai bowl is nice and thick. I recommend freezing banana slices so the banana is easier to blend. Slice a banana and put the slices in a freezer bag or container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer right before making the acai bowl.
- Frozen mixed berries– I like to use a mixed berry blend that has blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
- Frozen açaí packets– You can buy açaí packets at the store in the freezer section. I use Sambazon unsweetened açai packets.
How to Make Açaí Bowls
This açaí bowl recipe is SO easy! Let's get started!
- Place the milk, banana, berries, and açaí Bowls packets in a high-power blender, preferably one that has a tamper. You need a good blender to make a thick açaí Bowls.
- Here are a few good blender options: Vitamix, Breville, and KitchenAid.
- Turn the blender on low and use the tamper to push the frozen fruit and acai down.
- Continue to blend on low until creamy and smooth. If you need to add a little more milk, you can, but don't add too much or the mixture will not be thick.
- Divide into two bowls.
- Top with desired toppings and serve immediately.
Açaí Bowl Toppings
Customize your bowl with your favorite toppings, here are some ideas!
- Fresh Fruit– strawberries, blueberries, banana slices, raspberries, blackberries, mango, pineapple, or kiwi.
- Granola– for a nice crunch! A few of my favorites are: almond butter granola, chocolate chip cookie granola clusters, chocolate granola, peanut butter granola, and chocolate peanut butter granola.
- Coconut– regular or toasted coconut.
- Nuts– almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, or cashews
- Nut butter-add a drizzle of peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
- Chia seeds
- Hemp hearts
- Nutella– top with a drizzle of Nutella for a little decadence.
- Honey or Pure Maple Syrup– I think the bowls are plenty sweet, but if you want to add extra sweetness drizzle with a little honey or pure maple syrup.
How to Store
I usually make and serve immediately, but if you need to store for longer I recommend putting the puree in the freezer WITHOUT the toppings. The toppings will get mushy.
To freeze: Place the açaí puree in a freezer container and freeze for up to 2 months. Transfer to the fridge the night before so it can thaw overnight. Add toppings and enjoy!
More Breakfast Recipes
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Berry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Savory Breakfast Bowl
- Breakfast Cookies
- Vegetable Frittata
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Egg Muffins
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy, almond, coconut, cashew, or soy)
- 1 frozen banana, sliced
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 2 frozen acai packets, broken into pieces (I use Sambazon unsweetened)
- Toppings: granola, coconut, nuts, nut butter, chia seeds, hemp hearts, fresh fruit, etc.
- Place the milk, banana, berries, and acai packets in a high-power blender that has a tamper. You need a good blender with a tamper to make a thick acai bowl.
- Turn the blender on low and use the tamper to push the frozen fruit and acai down. Continue to blend on low until creamy and smooth. If you need to add a little more milk, you can, but don't add too much or the mixture will not be thick.
- Divide into two bowls and top with desired toppings like granola, coconut, nuts, a drizzle of nut butter, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and/or fresh fruit. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod