Blueberry Smoothie- you only need 5 minutes to make this creamy and refreshing blueberry smoothie recipe. Enjoy for breakfast or as a simple and healthy snack!
I love starting my day with a refreshing smoothie that is packed with good for you ingredients. A few of my favorites include my strawberry banana smoothie, peanut butter banana smoothie, and detox smoothie. I also LOVE this easy Blueberry Smoothie recipe.
We always have blueberries in the freezer so we make this one often. It only takes 5 minutes to make and my kids love it! It makes a great healthy breakfast or snack. This smoothie is bursting with blueberry flavor and the texture is thick, creamy, and smooth!
This smoothie is also easy to customize! See below for lots of variations!
- Milk– I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk or homemade kefir, but you can use your favorite milk. Cow's milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, soy milk, or oat milk are all good options.
- Frozen blueberries– Use frozen blueberries so the smoothie is nice and thick.
- Frozen banana– I recommend freezing bananas in slices so they are easier to blend. I always keep a stash in our freezer for smoothies.
- Spinach– I love adding a big handful of spinach. It's a great way to get in extra greens and I promise you can't taste it.
- Protein powder– You don't have to add protein powder, but I do because I want the protein boost. I use this protein powder, the simply vanilla flavor is great for this smoothie. You can always use the code TWOPEAS for a discount.
- Chia seeds– for extra protein and fiber!
How to Make a Blueberry Smoothie
- Add the milk, blueberries, banana, spinach, protein powder, and chia seeds to a powerful blender.
- Here are a few good blender options: Vitamix, Breville, and KitchenAid.
- Blend until smooth. If you have to stop and scrape the sides with a spatula or use the tamper, you can.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy immediately.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, you can use fresh blueberries and banana, but you will need to add ice to thicken the smoothie.
- If you don't want to use a banana, you can use frozen cauliflower to thicken up the smoothie. I promise you can't taste it. Use ⅓ to ½ cup.
- Add a little plain Greek yogurt or vanilla yogurt for extra protein.
- If you don't want to use milk, you can use coconut water, apple juice, or orange juice.
- Instead of spinach, you can use kale.
- Add in flaxseed meal or hemp hearts.
- Add avocado for a boost of creaminess and a great source of healthy fats too!
- Add a spoonful of almond butter, peanut butter, or cashew butter.
- If you aren't using vanilla protein powder, add a splash of vanilla extract.
- If you like a sweeter smoothie, drizzle in a little bit of honey or pure maple syrup.
- Top the smoothie with granola. Here are a few of my favorite granolas that go nicely with this smoothie recipe: lemon blueberry, almond butter granola, coconut granola, or brown butter maple granola.
- Sprinkle PBfit on top and stir in with a spoon. I don't blend it into the smoothie because you won't taste it as much. Stir it in with a spoon for maximum peanut butter flavor.
Prep In Advance
If you want to plan ahead and meal prep your smoothies, you can make smoothie packs and keep them in the freezer.
- In a freezer bag or container, add all the frozen blueberries, banana, spinach, and chia seeds. I don't freeze the protein powder, I add it in when I am ready to make the smoothie. Don't add the milk!
- Label the outside of the bag or container with the name of the smoothie, date, and the amount of liquid that you need to add when ready to make the smoothie.
- Place in the freezer and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Make several packs so you have several smoothies ready to go.
- When you are ready to make a smoothie, pour the liquid into the blender first. Add one frozen smoothie pack (add protein powder if you want) and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
More Smoothie Recipes
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Detox Smoothie
- Açaí Bowl
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Triple Berry Chia Smoothie
- Berry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Add the milk, blueberries, banana, spinach, protein powder, and chia seeds to a powerful blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
- Note- If you don't use protein powder, I recommend adding ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup or honey. See the post for more variations.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod